Shopping Cart

0

Your shopping bag is empty

Go to the shop

1953 Gibson GA-40 Les Paul Vintage Tube Amp 1x12 w/ Tremolo, Jensen P12Q

$3,399.99

+ shipping

Up for sale, a 1953 Gibson GA-40 Les Paul 1x12 tube amplifier in collector-grade condition and in perfect working order. Stunningly well-kept and meticulously serviced in-house here at Mike & Mike's Guitar Bar, the GA-40 Les Paul is one of Gibson's most visually distinct amps, with two-tone cosmetics, a flawless plastic "LP" script grill, perfect metal Gibson badge, and even a small "Les Paul" waterslide decal, identical to the ones on the headstocks of the earliest Les Paul guitars. Providing direct competition for Fender's tweed amps, this Les Paul GA-40 was analogous to Fender's Tremolux, with a dual 6V6 driven circuit, four-input design, built-in tremolo, and open-back cabinet with a single 12" Jensen P12Q alnico magnet driver.

The Les Paul GA-40 has two channels with a shared Voicing (Tone) control and dedicated Volume knobs. A footswitchable Tremolo effect has a three-way rotary speed control. While the voicing of this amp is relatively dark overall, there’s a nice high-treble snap and punchy presence in the top end. Round cleans give way to thick overdrive around halfway up the Volume dial, and the Tremolo has a deep pulse and smooth waveform, offering everything from a swampy, slow undulation to quicker beating available at the click of a knob.

All of the original transformers are intact, dating between 1952-53 and manufactured by Magnetic Components Inc. The amp has been recapped as needed to ensure optimal functionality and tone with premium tubular Sozo caps, and the preamp retains all of the original pots and carbon comp resistors. The IRC pots have visible date codes from the 16th week of '53. The tube complement includes all original valves in the preamp, with a matched pair of fresh Electro Harmonix 6V6 power tubes and a 5V4 rectifier. The original Jensen P12Q speaker has an extremely clean deep green frame, retaining the original foil label on the magnet bell. The stamp on the edge of the frame dates to the 20th week of '53.

The original two-tone cosmetics are incredibly well preserved, with only very light wear on the bottom corners of the enclosure. The faceplate is equally minty, retaining flawless silkscreened graphics and the original quartet of deep brown chicken head knobs.

The original footswitch for engaging the tremolo is included, hard-wired as per factory spec with a fresh cable to ensure optimal performance. A modern slip cover is also included.